Friday, April 10, 2009

Beep Beep

The car horn. Such a simple instrument, yet perhaps the most vital to self preservation while driving. But no one uses it here in Denver. Why? Are we afraid that someone will take offense and shoot us? I suppose that's a possibility, and my wife has often commented that she fully expects me to come to an early demise from my overly generous horn use.

But look at a place like Costa Rica, which I recently visited. Drivers there use the horn as regularly as tuning the radio or turning on the windshield wipers. A few beeps to say, "Here I am. Don't hit me. Look out. Oh my god I'm about to die on this 16-lane roundabout, get out of my way." Seriously, though, liberal use of the horn is just part of the driving technique there.

I've decided I'm going to start using my horn more liberally but with less malice, to tip the balance of its everyday use. This morning I was making a quick trip downtown, a journey I've done so often that I know how to hit all of the green lights. As I approached one intersection, a pedestrian unwisely started to cross, threatening my smooth crossing of the intersection. A few short but stern beeps sent her scurrying across, high-heeled boots and all, to the safety of the other side. Another life saved.

Now I just need a bigger horn. And bullet proof glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment