Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Only One Week Left

It's hard to believe my time in Antarctica and at Palmer Station is coming to an end. Only about a week before I get back on the ARSV Laurence M. Gould for the four-day voyage back across the Southern Ocean to Chile. I feel like there is so much left to do -- probably because there is! I've got a list going but it's growing longer faster than I can cut it down.

I must say the 40 people who I have been working and living with here for the past few weeks are some great folks. Everyone has been extremely accommodating and patient. It's obvious to me they love their jobs and this program. I've joked that I wouldn't mind relocating my office here next season, and the longer I'm here, the more I seriously think how great that would be.

A few random photos from the last few days:



Glacier SAR team conducting training exercise.
















One of the smaller cruise ships visiting Palmer Station.



Wildlife on Humble Island near Palmer.


The science team here researching a wingless fly called Belgica antarctica.

2 comments:

  1. Looks crazy wild man. More adventures to come this summer, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty fascinating place, for sure. Any particular adventures you have in mind?

    ReplyDelete