Sunday, June 14, 2009

That's Crap

First, I should preface the following by saying I like dogs (and even kids) and maybe some day I'll own a pooch again (and possibly an 18-year-old house girl). I guess it's really some dog owners that completely piss me off.

So, I'm in the kitchen. The front door is open, with the glass door closed, so I can see in front of our house. A woman is walking her dog, stops to chat with our neighbor, and her mutt starts to do the squat dance, preparing to unload in front of my house -- on the concrete! OK. She was swift and deft at picking up the excrement, but who lets her animal s**t right on the sidewalk like that?

And why do most dog owners assume their flea bag is so lovable that we're all happy when it runs up on us (unleashed, of course), muddy and wet, its big black nose like a ballistic missile to the crotch. An unleashed dog has often come close to taking me and my bike out, if not for some extreme defensive riding on my part -- I just assume all manner of man and beast is out to kill me when I'm peddling. It's the only way to stay alive.

While I'm gripping about pets, let's talk about kids (many of whom could stand to be on a leash, frankly): When did parents start buying these SUV-sized strollers? They're fine for the sidewalk, I guess, but not in crowded farmers markets, or at the mosh pit that passed for a book sale at the Denver Public Library this past weekend. (See my book club blog on this.) There are other options for hauling your little munchkins around. Maybe try a saddle on the family dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment